Sunday, September 8, 2013

Feeling Blue...

Warning, if you are a vocal Tony Abbott supporter you are welcome but you may wish to skip down to pictures below.

Well today Australia has a new Prime Minister & although there were scandals and behaviour issues on both sides, we now have a rude unenlightened man as our leader, we will need to be the 'lucky' country  to get through this guy's term unscathed there a million reasons why this should have never happened, and no party is blameless, in Australia we all have a wonderful democratic right to choose our leader (even if the US media magnate Rupert Murdoch's mass media campaign seem responsible for choosing this one)... 

I was brought up in loving household where intelligent political debates were encouraged, didn't matter whose political party you preferred, but also a home where 'fair play' was insisted on, liars not tolerated and the right to vote an opportunity & great responsibility for the future of our country.

Now I want to tell you a short story, share a snippet from my Saturday, poll day... 

I was at a place called Nambour based in the sub-tropical hinterland of the Sunshine Coast, by coincidence it actually is the place our former (as from last night) Prime Minister Kevin Rudd hails from, and, yesterday it happened to be holding the 'Collectorama Fair' (basically a huge fun trash & treasure, everything from antiques & clothing to comic books & bowling balls)... 

It was hot... I sat at a shared table huddled with my 2 girls, friend Jo and her daughter Erin on some available white plastic chairs to escape the midday sun, at the other end of the large wooden table a woman proceeded to state her political views... it went like this (as Memphis can testify)...

Kevin Rudd was evil, as a matter of fact he was going to hell because if he gets in power he will allow those 'homo-sex-u-als' to get married, this woman (get this) was a 'good Christian woman' (as she announced it at the table, loud & proud) and although she prays to the lord for gays to be cured, she can't accept their 'un-nat-ural' ways, and THAT was why she was voting for Liberal Party leader Tony Abbott (for people outside of Australia, Liberal Party is anything but, it is the right-wing conservative party), apparently the only thing she didn't like about Liberal Party Leader Tony Abbott was he was a 'Cath-o-lic' and as everyone knows they are ALL 'ped-o-philes' but he was ok she declared as he has THREE daughters (yep I was enlightened, they had been appearing by his side at every interview & photo-op, apparently to this woman it proved he was NOT hom-o-sexual or a ped-o-phile although she seemed to think those 'con-dic-tions' were one in the same. UGGGGGGH.

My girls & our party of 5 were horrified, gagging on my salad wrap, my heart sank... Tony Abbott is the man who is convinced the scientists are lying about global warming, who doesn't believe in gay rights (unless it's to pay taxes LOL). As we sat on the plastic chairs at that spot by the hot chips and pie stand at the Nambour Showground I realised I'd over-estimated the intelligence of the voting public and started to sweat in the shade, and I realised the public will get the government it deserves... Shame the rest of us Aussies will cop it too. 

When this woman was confronted that she was a little prejudice she responded she wasn't prejudiced because she had prayed for a transvestite years ago and now he was cured & married, but unfortunately this guy still sounded 'gay' BUT (she explained to us as if we were morons), Germans once they come to Australia still sound 'German' because that is the way they're born even though they may be 'Australian' now... So... Apparently the ex-transvestite still 'sounds' gay, even though 'cured', just like the German, you can't get rid of the accent once you have changed... 
True & scary insight into one vocal Abbott supporter... 

Ohh but I got a bowling ball for $2 so the day wasn't a total downer ;)

But it had me feeling blue... hence... continuing with my Sept 29 Faces (both of these full artworks are on my seperate '29 Faces' page if you want to check them out.

Day 6 Feeling Blue
& Day 7 Ocean Dream, from the depths a watery blue-tinged mermaid
Oh yes I defend anyone's right to rant (even that woman at the showground) but really hate intolerance & injustice and ignorance through choice.
Have a great week & let's create a better fairer world for all (although that may have to wait 'til next election) ;)

18 comments:

Jen xo said...

sadly there are people like that all over and sadly they voted the stupid little man in.....your faces however are wonderful.....

Jenny said...

Oh Shelle... a very scary insight into a vocal supporter... I'm with you... and my heart sank at the outcome... your 'Blue' girls are stunning though... deep and insightful... their eyes tell a story for sure...

Jenny ♥

denthe said...

Oh Shelle, you are so right! I don't know that much yet about Australian politics, and I wasn't allowed to vote since I'm not a citizen, but I feared the worst when I read the polls.... And those campaign flyers of the so-called liberals gave me the shudders. There is a saying: "never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups". I guess that's what happened here, and people will soon be confronted with the consequences of their choice. Hopefully better next election, but in that time this moron can do a lot of damage ....
On to a more brighter subject: I LOVE your faces, especially the blue one.

Magaly Guerrero said...

First the yumminess, I love "Feeling Blue." Her reflection expresses the mood through infinite beauty and skill. And yay for $2 bowling balls ;-)

About the lady *sigh* Lately, I've so surprised as how ridiculously stupid people can be. And heartless, too. To advocate love just to turn around and hate, and JUSTIFY themselves for the feeling by saying they are doing a benevolent god's work. I'm pretty sure Jesus would be as horrified as the rest of us. He died so that people would love each other--he put no gender or affiliation on his sacrifice. I don't understand how those who claim to follow his teaching don't see that they are spitting vinegar on his face every time they act this hypocritical.

You know I can go on and on forever when it comes to this, so I'll stop here. I'll pray the day comes when people use their brain for something other than to keep their skulls from sounding hollow...

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Feeling Blue and Ocean Dream both are beautiful renderings of strength and power put to paper. I love the depth of the eyes. Wow, you are so gifted.

As to your misadventure....blech. I am always struck by how vocal stupidity really is. I avoid talking unless I think it is first the truth and second worthwhile, but there are those that spout just because they were born with a mouth....no necessarily a brain to back it up.

I also know how disappointing it can be to come face to face with the mindlessness of the voter. Same thing here in the States. What is right is seldom the issue. What can be force fed to the least common denominator is most generally the reality. Sorry my dear. We just need to keep on keeping on with our work in private working for the best and good to win out at the "subatomic level" of life. Oma Linda
Sure have missed you and glad you are here again. It makes me so very happy.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thanks for your insights into Tony Abbott and the Liberal Party -- we don't know much about Australian politics here in Canada so when I heard the news yesterday that you had a new PM I didn't realize what that meant.

Take heart, Sunshineshell! It probably won't be long until they screw up somehow and get everyone mad at them.

Robin said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings on the elections. I had no idea of the politics in Australia as I have gotten sick of listening to our news here in the US. I too am proud to vote and was raised as it was a privilege also. I live in California and it has gotten to where we in California know who has won the Presidency long before our polls have closed. And they say every vote counts. Oops I am onto my soapbox now.

I wonder about all of our leaders and their choices and I am with you when I hear such vocally prejudice people using their personal beliefs instead of whats best for the Country as a whole.

I just thought it was USA. Your post opened my eyes and thank you so much for that.

BTW, LOVE both the blue faces! Hold tight and find peace because this moment in time will certainly change again and lets hope with no damage! Big Hugs! Rasz

Magic Love Crow said...

People are stupid! I am so sorry you had to sit and listen to that crazy person! Keep loving your country and things will change! They have to, because you are a great person and so are your family ;o)
I am loving your new faces and I love your pink girl too ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

Reba said...

Shelle, I know how you feel. I am so disgusted with today's leaders, and the haters in our world (sigh). On a happier note, I love your work! Feeling Blue is exquisite, and the blue tinged mermaid is pretty too! I love how you do eyes and lips, and your shading technique! Just beautiful!

Clare said...

Hi Shelle, Another extremely disappointed, disillusioned Aussie here! I agree with you. She was such a Stupid, Stupid, Ignorant woman. While I adore your 'Blue' Face and understand why you felt inclined to draw your feelings, I would have to say I bet there would have been an angry RED face within you too. Both, 'all' your faces are wonderful!

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Sunshineshelle,
I loved your BEAUTIFUL work expressing your feeling well☆☆☆
Hope you and your SWEET Memphis are doing fine in my favorite country♬♬♬

Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I thought all the ignorant, head in the sand people were in the US. I know the complacent ones are. I also know the sinking feeling of being saddled with a "leader" who you feel will not take your country in the right direction. Been there before & will probably be there again. Ah, Democracy!

Love the blue faces!

Anonymous said...

It sounds as though no matter what country you reside, the ignorant still prevail. I live in not the bible belt, but probably the buckle of it, and listen to that sort of judgmental idiocy often.

What I find saddest of all, is the meanest, loudest people usually will announce, "I am a good Christian." Well first of all, you are embarrassing those who actually ARE good, loving Christians, (I know they exist because I have met several) by being such an intolerant ass. Oh girl...I better stop here before I really get on a roll and rant all over your beautiful blog. ;-)

So on that note...I love the "Feeling Blue" and "Ocean Dream". Awesome find on the bowling ball. Hugs sweetie!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

It's a crazy world, no doubt. But I remind myself that these two-leggeds that I share so much with, whether the sharing resonates or not, are my species. In the end, all I can do is love them.

What they choose to do with the love that I offer … is their choice.

But I do do my best, every day, to be a mirror of the behavior I wish to manifest in this world.

… and your faces … awesome!

Robin said...

Had to pop back over and thank you so much for the wonderful comment on Stacy's blog and on mine! You are awesome and inspiring!!! I am still so happy you are back here with us all. You have so many wonderful words and art to share with the word and you are definitely an inspiration to me. You shine and help to light the world!!! Big hugs, Rasz

Faye said...

Not into Australian politics but I enjoyed seeing your beautiful drawings/paintings. You are so talented.

Anne said...

Your blue girls are beautiful; their eyes amazing. I adore visiting your page.

Maria Medeiros said...

Thanks for your visit and your wonderful comment! I truly appreciate it! Have a lovely weekend!! Beautiful artwork!!!